“You have to have more ability from Congress, I think, to work together and to get over the partisan bickering and focus on fixing things I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years, just tell them we won’t hold them against them whatever decisions they make. Just let them help this country recover.” ~North Carolina Governor Beverly Purdue (D)
After being criticized for her remarks, Bev back pedaled and said she was just joking.
I’ve heard the tape and it doesn’t sound like she’s joking. I’m an Advanced Toastmaster and I’ve given and evaluated dozens of speeches. One of the things you learn is that you have to pause slightly after the laugh lines to let the audience react. She did not pause, there was no audience reaction. It was not a joke.
I’m not sure that’s what is really happening, but I wouldn’t put it past Obama and his cronies. I think they’ll manufacture some crisis, and “October surprise,” just before the 2012 elections. Their hope, Americans will say “We can’t change horses in midstream” because we’re in the middle of a crisis. Kinda like the American sheople did in 2004 when they re-elected Bush.
- North Carolina Governor Calls On Congress To Suspend Elections (outsidethebeltway.com)
- GOP: No ‘Joke’ for North Carolina Governor to Suggest Suspending Elections (foxnews.com)
- Republicans vs. Democrats: Who’s smarter? (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Bev Perdue’s open-mic night a total bust (hotair.com)
- Perdue clarifies comments on suspending Congressional elections (charlotte.news14.com)