What elements do you need before you can call something a religion?
First, you need a figurehead, a leader. The Church of Global Warming (COGW) has Al Gore. He’s their High Priest. Al has sway over his followers just like Sun Myung Moon has over the Moonies in the Unification Church.
Second, you need a symbol and a Holy Book. Christians have the cross and the Bible. Muslims have the crescent and the Koran. Jews have the Star of David and the Talmud. COGW has the hockey stick and “An Inconvenient Truth.”
Third, you need a set of beliefs that nobody is allowed to challenge. Al Gore and other climate change scientists have said repeatedly “the science is settled.”
The Church of Global warming has their own dogma.
- Original Sin: Mankind is responsible for the prophesied disasters.
- Atonement: We must impose a carbon tax or cap-and-trade system.
- Rituals: We must observe Earth Day and we must recycle.
- Indulgences: The rich can continue to pollute as long as they buy carbon offsets.
- Prophecy: We must act now before it’s too late.
Fourth, you need adherents that will follow their leader without question. I know some of these people. They have concluded that what gives meaning to their lives is the belief that they are saving the planet by paying attention to their carbon footprint and recycling. People with no other source of meaning will defend their religion with jihadist zeal. They continue to believe even though there has been no rise in global temperatures for the past 15 years.
True believers in the COGW flock to conferences in Durban, Rio de Janeiro, Kyoto, and Copenhagen, where the global warming clergy preach about apocalyptic disasters. It’s like a pilgrimage to Mecca.
As with any religion, you have hypocrites. Al “Do as I say, not as I do” Gore owns a mansion that gobbles up 20 times more energy than the average American home. How many tons of carbon do you think global warming alarmists put into the atmosphere jetting off to conferences? And let’s not forget the great Climategate scandal of 2009.
All of these things are the elements of a new religion, “The Church of Global Warming.”
- MIT professor: global warming is a “religion” (dailycaller.com)
- John Howard: Global warming cause is adopted as a ‘substitute religion’ (independent.co.uk) Calls global warming alarmists “zealots.”
- The Religion of Global Warming (americanthinker.com) Man-made global warming is an earth-worshiping religion.
- Greenpeace ‘Santa’: Christmas canceled unless world halts global warming (michellemalkin.com)
- Global Warming: No Dissent Allowed (leeduigon.com)
- Al Gore Sued By Over 30.000 Scientists For Global Warming Fraud (lexingtonlibertarian.wordpress.com)
- Algore’s Lunatic Weather Forecast (lewrockwell.com)
- Top Seven Global Warming Setbacks (downtrend.com)
- Al Gore urges Senate Democrats to act boldly on global warming (washingtonpost.com)
- Global Warming Alarmists Stuck In Antarctic Sea Ice (theNewAmerican.com)
via New Trommetter Times http://www.trommetter.com/log/archives/2014/01/10/church-of-global-warming/